Friday, February 27, 2015

I saw Angela Landsbury at the Biltmore!

When we opened the Grove in 2003, knitters were just beginning to come out of the closet.  My generation was career oriented and Martha Stewart had yet to make an impact on all of us making it okay to celebrate home and hearth.

Around that time, I attended one of my first gift shows in L.A. and stayed at the Biltmore Hotel.  Of course they were filming there.  It's L.A. after all and perhaps one of the most frequently used sets for a hotel lobby scene is at the Biltmore.  The bright lights attracted my attention.  I stood on the balcony and looked down over the lobby and there was Angela Landsbury, amidst all the hustle and bustle,  sitting in a comfortable armchair quietly knitting.  WHATTTTTT???  When it was time for her to say her lines, she graciously said - are you ready for me?  When they said yes, she got up, carefully laid her knitting down on her chair and proceeded to act.  Wow.

I could not believe anyone was knitting in public especially someone famous and while she worked no less!  Unbelievable!!!!  Jessica Fletcher...right there knitting away.  I can't tell you how emancipating this was for me.  When I think back to this time period, I marvel at how much knitting has become an acceptable part of all our lives today, done openly, with friends.  It is valued and that wasn't the case when I was growing up.  That touches me down deep.  So let's enjoy our freedom to do what we love anywhere, any place.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! And that photo, well, wow! Looks like she was making a sock. She really was cute :-)

    ReplyDelete