Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Veiled At Long Last


These are the lovely panels judipatuti and I sewed for my dining room windows on Friday. It's been 2 1/2 years now that David and I have lived in this tiny, albeit cute, historic home in Burlingame without satisfactory window coverings. I wanted privacy. And I wanted light. I got both, when we came up with this panel design. Since the house is on a slight hill, I only needed 3/4 of the window covered. David installed a white curtain rod on the exact same visual line as one of the window pane frames, making the rod as invisible as possible. The silk lace inserts allow light in, but give us privacy as well. It reminds me of a mantilla, which is in keeping with our Spanish Revival home.

This is a public thank you to Judy, who did all the the hard stuff. I cheered her on as she made french seams and encased the silk lace in the taffeta. She graciously delegated just the hemming of the side seams to me which I completed with some trepidation (I'm a titch intimidated by her extraordinary, expert skills!).

Now there is a warm glow in the dining room when the sun shines through the lace and hits these gorgeous daffodils on our dining room table.


3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful window dressing. Your house sounds like exactly where I would visualize you living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, those panels are perfect for your dining room. I can't wait to see them, and all your handiwork the next time I visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Susan, and you did a great job with the side seams, and the measuring and the cutting! And I'm sure the hems look great too!
    It was a good collaboration!

    ReplyDelete