Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vine

This is Vine by Jenise Reid, an 8' long scarf knit in lace weight yarn. Intriguing, isn't it? The pattern is both written and charted and it's a toss up as to which is easier to follow. I usually flip back and forth between the two. I'll follow the chart until I mess up and then I'll refer to the written instructions to figure out where I went wrong and then I'll stay with the writing for awhile. Eventually, I will learn the pattern, but until then, I am definitely pattern-dependent!
After completing the 3rd leaf, I decided it was time to block and see how the leaves lay and whether they'd stay open and flat. Blocking lace is critical in determining drape and appearance. Until those eyelets are opened up and trained, there's no predicting the final outcome. Ah, yes, I can tell this is going to work nicely and that it is worth the time and effort (t&e). I'm always weighing the t&e factor for every project. Since I knit every sample in the store, I can't afford to spend too much time on a piece that isn't working out. I am knitting this in Non-Repeating Filigran, an ombre merino lace yarn by Zitron. According to the distributor's blurb, this is quickly becoming Europe's go-to lace weight yarn. I need no convincing! It's heaven to knit with!

No comments:

Post a Comment