Saturday, May 15, 2010

Swept Out to Sea in a Riptide of Color

Yesterday, I waited impatiently in the line at the post office to pick up a box of Hand Maiden Sea Silk. When I got the box, I went back to my car and began tearing at the packing tape with my keys, my nail clippers, my teeth, etc. Had To See It Right Away! Finally, I broke through and gasped as I took out each one of the incredible skeins with names like Cezanne, Lily Pond, Hemlock and Peridot. Jewels. As I drove from place to place doing my errands, I got to look at them. At every red light, stop sign, and in every parking place.

Later, we took Scout to the beach. While walking along the ocean's edge watching her body surf, DH said he didn't think he locked the car. My first thought was My Yarn!!! but then I remembered it was safe at home. Ah, don't worry about it, I said. I do have my priorities straight.

As soon as we got home and washed the sand off our feet, I took out my swift and rolled the magnificent skein pictured above into a ball. Sea Silk is 70% silk and 30% sea cell. I've never seen any fiber hold color like Sea Silk. It's drape is so fluid, it's hard to think of it as solid matter. And it has this very clean feel, a tiny bit crunchy almost like walking in sand that has a lot of mica in it.

Last night, I started Traveling Woman losing myself in a sea of color. It was a good day.



P.S. Whoops! BTW, it is for sale at the Grove. I'm not going to keep all of it!

2 comments:

  1. I HOPE you are going to share with the rest of us! Can't wait to see all that vibrancy "in person"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that sea silk too. I bought a skein the last time you had it in, and have made several things with it. One skein goes a long way! Can't wait to see all the sea beauty!

    ReplyDelete