Saturday, October 27, 2012

Knitting the Blues!

It occurs to me as I write this that it is appropriate to be knitting the blues this week in the quiet we are left with without Scout. My yarn selection was not intentional but it's funny how we gravitate towards certain colors at certain times in our lives.  Aside from sadness, blue represents the calmness of blue skies and water.  It's a rather complex color that has been studied.  Check out the recent New York Times article, "True Blue Stands Out in an Earthly Crowd".

I have always gone for The Blues...music-wise, earth-wise, and feeling-wise.  I play the blues all day long when I'm in the shop and no one's complained yet.  In fact one customer asked "why do the blues make you feel so good?"  Don't know, but they do!

And speaking of feeling good, Smooshy with Cashmere by Dream in Color (pictured) is heaven to work with it.  I am knitting a sample of Piper's Journey, a class we're offering on November 7th and 21 from 6:30 to 8:30.   The body is all in garter stitch and only every other row is a pattern row.  Only the first and last 4 stitches form the pattern.  Easy schmeazy! (Of course, I haven't gotten to the lace edging yet!)  The only down-side to this beauty (and it is far outweighed by the positives) is that the dye does come off on your hands and wooden needles.  That's how you know it's dyed with natural dyes.  There are only 2 blue dyes in nature: indigo and woad.  Neither are colorfast.  I have never experienced it staining anything, though, so don't let it deter you from working with the soft beauty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment