Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Christmas Quimble

Many years ago when I was in law school, a dear friend of mine gave me this teeny tiny little cloth doll that came in a small silk case with a snap. She told me it was a quimble and that I should always carry it in my pocket for good luck. I could not resist buying this cute little sprite on Monday because it reminded me of something from my past.

As I sat down to face some neglected paperwork this morning (ugh), I thought...ah-hah! It's a quimble! Then, I looked up "quimble" (see how I get to my paperwork?) because the word just popped into my head from nowhere, and I wanted to make sure I hadn't made it up over the course of 20 odd years! Well, I did find a definition for the word "quim" which means "a woman". Okay, it also means "vulva", a definition to be ignored for our purposes. So apparently, this little one resting next to my Earl Grey tea-filled cup is a bearded quimble, brought to you by me to wish you luck during the upcoming week when holiday obligations can be challenging! (Some tie-in, eh?) Okay, back to that paperwork.

1 comment:

  1. Quimble...heh? Well my quimble rests near my computer, but I can see he/she (oh dear, a she with a beard)looks more darling next to the pretty coffee cup.

    ReplyDelete